Monday, February 3, 2014

Let's get started!

Well, here it goes, blog post numero uno!

You asked for it, and here it is - my blog about anything tied to nutrition and fitness. Already my wheels are turning as to what I can and will soon be posting about.

I'm doing my best to figure out how this blog/website stuff works, so forgive me while my page develops.

Since it's Monday and our busy weeks have already begun, I thought it'd be best to share with you my meal plan.

Plan. A very important word to implement in daily life, would you agree? We plan how we're going to spend our money, what clothes we're going to wear each day, what we're going to do with our weekend coming up [yep, already wishing for Friday]. But planning meals for the week is key to sticking to a healthy routine!

Every Friday I take an hour or so to look around for healthy dinner ideas that are quick, easy and include only REAL food (more on this to come). Also, I have to say, I'm a very lucky wife as my husband will eat just about anything and everything put on a plate - I dare you to test that theory - not sure how I will do if I ever have to deal with super picky eaters.

Some good websites I like to look at include:

www.everydaypaleo.com

www.nomnompaleo.com

www.weightandwellness.com

Then I write it down and sometimes will print out the recipe so it's all ready to go.

Here's my list for this week:

  • Monday: Pork roast in crock pot / roasted green beans with olive oil / sweet potato with butter
  • Tuesday: Burgers (w/o the bun, please!) with avocado / sweet potato fries cooked in coconut oil
  • Wednesday: Leftover pork taco salad - I'll be winging this one, no recipe to go by, wish me luck.
  • Thursday: Chicken wild rice soup in crock pot / green salad with [real] bacon bits
  • Friday: Slow cooker coconut ginger chicken and veggies (I'm so excited for this one, I love coconut everything!)

This is really truly what I'll be eating this week, notice a lot of the options - ok, maybe all of the options - are cooked in the crock pot. Best. Invention. Ever!

So, now you have your list of meals you'd like to prepare for the week. Now it's time to write your grocery list.

List. Another very important word in my dictionary. My husband can testify, I am the Queen of list making! ...some of my OCD tendencies come out when I'm writing lists.
As I'm looking at all the recipes I have planned for the week I write down just what I need. Piece of cake sweet potato? I hope this isn't too complicated so far, this isn't the science-y part yet, I promise.

Now we're off and running! We have a plan, we have the food we need. Last but not least we can prep anything that might need prepping.
Most of my prep this week is just to remember to thaw out the meat I'll be using. I write another list for that, too [no joke]. And the day of I'll cut up what veggies I'll need and throw it all in the crock pot. For real, a monkey could do this.

The lesson here, folks, as we're starting with the basics, is to plan ahead. Remember, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail - not only with healthy eating but pretty much with life in general. You're welcome.

Stay tuned my friends! I feel a post about snacks coming up!

And really truly, thank you to my Riverway friends for encouraging me to start this up and for pushing me to share more of this info with you - I'm honored to be a resource for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment