Friday, April 1, 2016

Low Carb - what I ate today

My goodness, life has been busy. Out of the blue my husband and I decided to move! We have only been in our current house for 4 years, but the right house at the right time just showed up and we jumped. Let the chaos of moving ensue. 

Well, Easter is over and hopefully you're working on ridding your house of all of that candy. It's a new day and let's face it, summer is on its way and we have shorts we have to wear. 

Despite the holiday and this packing nonesense, we are still going strong with Alt Shift. If you haven't read any previous posts where I mention Alt Shift, it is a way of eating designed specifically for fat loss while preserving muscle. We started this protocol back in September with just a few bumps along the way in the form of Christmas and birthdays.. 

But the great part about Alt Shift is that there's no 'failing' or starting over. If you have a bad day or a bad meal, you just keep on keeping on as if nothing ever happened. Because that's just how life goes. 

We just finished up our 3 days of eating low fat and have started our 5 day stretch of low carb. It doesn't matter how long I have been 'shifting', every morning on day one of our 5 shift I want to throw a party because I get to slather my eggs with butter and cheese, fry up some bacon, and fill my coffee cup with heavy cream. It's glorious! 

But eating low carb doesn't come naturally for most of us. It can be quite a change of eating as you first give it a go. We are eating under 30 grams of carbs on these days, which is just about the amount of carbs in a banana.

Our low carb days usually surround eggs, full fat dairy, meat, and green veggies. There just isn't room for much else. 

So what I wanted to show you is what I've eaten today to meet my desired calories while still staying below 30 grams of carbs. 
[I did not take photos of my dinner because I was getting hangry and there was no time to stop and snap a pic.] 


•Breakfast was a cheese and bacon omelet (shared with my toddler), coffee with cream and some Kerry Gold - that's the gold halo on top of my coffee you see. It's from the gods, for sure. 
•Munched on some pepperonis (I know, I'm gonna get cancer 😜) and cheese that Leslie didn't want. 
•Lunch is a cheeseburger patty with mayo, organic ketchup and cucumber slices
•Snacks of peanut butter and celery, and La Croix with a splash of heavy cream. 

+ Plus my dinner, which was 2 scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese and a bowl of leftover low carb Zuppa Toscana soup for the win. -Random combo, but I tell you I was HUNGRY! 

Here is how my day broke down: 


My calories are just over 2000 and honestly I will probably have a snack of some kind before bed. A girl can eat!

This is very typical for me and very doable. I love my 5 shift, low carb, days so much 💜

If you have a fat loss goal, or if you're like me and want to gain some good healthy muscle weight, I'd recommend Alt Shift over and over again. I hope to share more about my progress with this way of life, especially with my fitness. But that will have to wait for another day. 

I share this just to give as an example. To give you a real life scenario of what this looks like. I don't always do this perfectly, but I do my best which is what I can expect of myself. 

Next up I'll share with you what my low fat 'shift' looks like, but that won't be for a few days. 

For now I will enjoy all of the bacon, red meat, butter and cream that has filled my fridge. O.M.Yum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment