Saturday, September 20, 2014

B-L-D Ideas

Happy Saturday! 

During this pregnancy I really haven't had big cravings for a particular food. I've gone in phases of only being able to eat crackers and cream cheese and pickles in the beginning months. And then my cravings became almond milk, burgers, and waffles and pancakes. But really, I haven't changed much of the way I eat now compared to pre-pregnancy - which is probably why I've felt really great this whole time! Eating balanced PFC does amazing things. 

However, with that said, I wanted to satisfy some of those cravings and just find some healthier versions of my favorite foods for the occasional indulgence, without feeling totally bloated afterwards (TMI?). I stumbled upon a pretty decent pancake recipe that is becoming a weekly Saturday morning treat for the hubbs and I. And it's a recipe that I won't feel too guilty about feeding my little girl someday! 

These pancakes have about 18g of protein and about 20g of carbs per serving. Try to get creative with your toppings to cut down on the sugar. Real maple syrup, along with a good slather of butter, is what we usually use because this is our treat. But you could top it off with real peanut butter (only peanuts and salt in ingredient list) for some added fat and protein, or real whip cream (made without sugar added) and berries for a fancy feast. 

Here's the recipe: 

Protein Pancakes 
serves about 3

Ingredients
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup cottage cheese (full fat!)
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 tsp cinnamon

Directions
Mix all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth.
Make your cakes and enjoy! *This recipe isn't meant for the huge flapjack type of pancakes that you get at Perkins, my friends. This morning I made 3 relatively small pancakes for myself, but with all that protein they filled me up just fine. 


Keep your day going with these other favorite recipes of mine! 


Tuna Salad on Cucumbers
serves 2-3

Ingredients
2 small cans of tuna in water
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup diced celery 
2-3 tsp diced red onion
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh parsley, optional

Directions 
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. 
Adjust seasonings and oil to taste. 

Load up slices of cucumber with your tuna mixture and enjoy! Who needs bread, anyway? 


Egg Salad on Cucumbers
serves 2-3

Ingredients
2 hard boiled eggs, shells peeled
1-2 tsp relish
2 Tbsp real mayonnaise (try looking for one without soybean oil)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. 
Adjust seasonings to your liking. 

Load up slices of cucumber with your egg mixture and enjoy! ..you can tell sliced cucumbers are my new favorite bread replacement. 



**For easy, weekly meal planning!** 

Daily uses for cooked, shredded chicken!

At the beginning of the week, cook 4 or 5 chicken breasts (I like to cook them in my crock pot on high for 3 hours or so - it's just that much easier) and shred them all up. 

Try out these ideas to use that chicken in different ways all week long! 

1. Top off your salad with some chicken. You'll have your veggie (C), your dressing (F), and your chicken (P) -- PFC meal right there! Can't get much easier than that. 

2. Chicken avocado salad. Mix an avocado with some salsa, salt and pepper (making guacamole, in essence) and add in some chicken for a pack of protein. Use those wonderful cucumber slices as dippers, and there's another PFC meal, easy peesy. 

3. Chicken tacos! Who doesn't love a chicken taco? Mix up your chicken with some seasonings like cumin, a little bit of chili powder, salt and some salsa. Load up some veggie toppings like tomatoes, avocados, onions, or beans. A little fresh cilantro goes a long way, too. You don't even need a tortilla, just a fork and a hungry belly! ..my mouth is watering.. 

4. Chicken wild rice soup in the crock pot. I actually made this this week, yum! 
-Chop up 3 large carrots, 3 stalks of celery and a large onion
-Load up the crock pot with your veggies, 1 cup of uncooked wild rice, 62 oz chicken broth, 1-2 tsp dried oregano, salt and pepper to taste. 
-Cook on low for 6-8 hours, adding in your chicken during the last couple hours. 
You will have soup for weeks! I put half of this recipe in the freezer


Happy Meal Planning, everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment