Tuesday, June 7, 2016

My Experience with Creatine

For the last month or so I've been experimenting with creatine.

...that sounds like I'm using drugs...

Let me try again.

For the last month or so I've been taking creatine to enhance my workouts in hopes to build a bit more muscle.

Better?

And I just wanted to share with you my thoughts in case you've ever thought about taking it as well.

Before starting to take creatine I did a little research just to be sure that it was safe and what I should or shouldn't do.
I did find that overall creatine is generally safe for most people, given you take the correct dosage, of course.

Also, it has been recommended by some groups to start with a loading phase where you take more than the recommended dose for the first 7-10 days. I did not do this step as I've also read that it's not necessary to see the benefits. And I can attest that it's not necessary.

I have been taking 5mg of creatine on days that I workout. I try to take it 30-60 minutes before I start my workout, but sometimes my day gets rearranged unexpectedly and I end up taking it in the morning and wouldn't workout till after dinner. So my timing hasn't been consistent.

I appreciate that this stuff is pretty darn cheap. I bought mine from Target for a little less than $15 and I've barely made a dent. This stuff will last me a while. Anything you buy, just make sure it's pure creatine monohydrate. No other junk in it.



So here's what I noticed:

  • I am WAY more thirsty! Holy cow, I could drink 3 gallons of water a day when I have this stuff. It's like I'm nursing again! Creatine pushes water from your bloodstream into your muscle cells to give them more oxygen to produce more work. So you're losing water from your system that way. Invest in a huge water bottle. 
  • I have been able to add either more reps or another set in my workouts. So my exercise volume has definitely increased. 
  • The weight I can lift has increased as well. Of course, I am still limited in this department since I don't have access to a gym. But going up 5lbs for upper body dumbbell exercises is a good progression for me. 
  • With more volume and more weight I have noticed more muscle. Now, whether that's all my muscle growth or if it's just more water filling up my muscles, that's up for debate. Either way, I'll take it. 
  • There's no noticeable 'feeling' or 'sensation' that I've ever experienced. It's not a weird magic pill in that sense. 
  • I've learned to mix it VERY well in whatever drink I add it to. Your husband will thank you. #nuffsaid 
The benefits of creatine are in response to an intense workout. If you start to take creatine without working out then most likely you won't see much of any difference. Creatine allows you to do a little bit more in your workouts so that you see a little more in your progress. Not the other way around.


Overall I think creatine has been beneficial to my goals. I really just want to get stronger and gain some good, healthy muscle mass. And I think I'm on my way there. 



No comments:

Post a Comment