Friday, January 15, 2016

Exercise: But not too much, and not too little

This time of year is when we focus again on our fitness in order to improve our health. All of the gyms are packed - although I wouldn't know since I don't like going to them - and I'm sure those of you selling fitness products are making some good commission right now. 

Most programs out there will recommend and encourage us to workout every day. If you've had a busy day chasing after the kids, didn't get much sleep the night before, or if work is too hectic, you have no excuse to now fit in that sweat session! We hear this message everywhere, over and over. And it is so unfortunate. 

Exercise has so many health benefits, we know this. It can improve our mood, decrease depression, improve our blood sugars and blood pressure, it can improve our cholesterol and so much more. Exercise is a very important drug that is very underutilized in today's society. I am by no means saying we shouldn't exercise.

BUT when do we push ourselves too far? 

When you go to buy a new car one of the first things you look for is the mileage.  We are kind of like a car, in that, when we put on more miles we are wearing ourselves out faster. I know too many people who have attained too many injuries from running long distances for far too long. We just weren't meant to do that to our bodies. 

Exercise is stress. In any form. When you exercise you are putting added stress on your body, even when you feel great after a good workout. Add the stress from exercise to your stress from your job, the stress from your kids, the housework, your marriage, your finances, your TV shows or video games... that's a lot of stress! So this whole idea that we NEED to push ourselves hard in the gym every day, or even 5-6 days a week, is unhealthy! 

It is good to challenge ourselves, to make progress in our fitness. But we also need the rest. The gains happen when we rest. It's ok to hit snooze on your alarm clock and miss that zumba class if you really need the sleep. Sleep and rest should always come first. 

I used to do cardio. I used to do cardio because I didn't know how to lift weights. I didn't know what to do with dumbbells, other than the bicep curl. I used to do cardio about 4 times a week, ending my 45 minute jumping and dancing session with a bright red face and sweat dripping from every inch of myself. Then I noticed one day that I had gained 20lbs [and not of muscle!] and thought, what the heck is going on?! So I reconsidered my approach to exercise. Now I lift weights and I walk. 

I haven't done any sort of typical 'cardio' in about 4 years and I am in the best shape of my life. 


I encourage you to listen to this TED talk and consider your own exercise approach



If you are here confused about where to start with exercise, please reach out to me and allow me to give you some first steps on where to begin [literally]! 

No comments:

Post a Comment