Friday, March 13, 2015

Yogurt Parfait!

I have always loved yogurt. Even as a little kid my mom would buy me yogurt cups of all flavors. I grew up with brands like Yoplait. My favorite was vanilla - how exciting, I know - it was my go-to snack, and still is. However, my yogurt choices have evolved over the years to become a little bit healthier. 

The truth is, all of the flavored yogurts are FULL of sugar! Even the simple vanilla has way more sugar than necessary. Take a peek at the labels the next time you're at the grocery store. Look at the Toral Carbs for any flavored yogurt compared to plain. Quite a difference! 

At the same time, I hear you, plain yogurt is pretty blah and sour tasting. 

So here is my low-sugar, high-protein yogurt parfait recipe. It's perfect for an on-the-go snack or breakfast. 
Put all of the ingredients in a shaker cup for even easier travel. Stick the spoon out of the drinking spout and you're good to go! 

First, fill your cup (or bowl or shaker cup) with however much PLAIN, FULL-FAT (if you can find it!) yogurt. I prefer Greek, it's just a bit thicker and has better texture in my opinion. 



Next, pour 1 scoop of your choice of protein powder. I currently have a white chocolate flavor from Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100%Whey protein powder - it is so delish! Look at the ingredient list and avoid brands that have sugar or sugar substitutes like sucralose. 



Then mix it up


Now add your extras. I use frozen fruit, whatever is the cheapest at the store that day. I like using frozen a) because it's cheaper and b) because if you make this on the go the frozen fruit will keep it cold for a little while longer as the fruit thaws out. Brilliant! 


I also put some chopped nuts in it. I get these little tidbits in the baking aisle at Target. Avoid the granolas, they're pretty much just sugar, and we're trying to limit the sugar here. You won't notice the difference or miss it. I promise. 


Mix again, and enjoy! 


Yum Yum!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment