Monday, March 23, 2015

A little DIY

I know this isn't a blog for DIY ideas, but let's just go with it. 

Since having a little one to fill my time I rarely have time to do what I want. This past week I made it a point to get something done that I've wanted to do long before my girl was born - she came 5 weeks before expected so she kinda threw off my plans.. 

I love art, even if I'm not the greatest at it. My dad is an artist along with my brothers and now my nephews! It is just in our blood, I think. My parent's house is filled with my dad's paintings. It would be taboo to put up a generic piece of art on their wall, it just wouldn't be right. Now having my own place I feel kind of the same way. A picture bought at the store just doesn't have the same meaning as something original. 

Leslie's room is still under construction and it was time I put something else on her wall. With some Pinterest inspiration here is what I created: 


And here is how you can get the same look - for around $15! 

First I bought my supplies: 
Canvas - $7
Paint - $4
Cheap foam brushes - <$1
Painters tape - already had some lying around
Spray paint (I used gold) - also had some lying around from Christmas crafting I did a while back

I found my inner artist (though this isn't anything too complicated) and started puting some paint on the canvas. 


I layered various shades of turquoise and just kept going until I liked it. 


Then I measured out many, many pieces of tape to 5 inches. I put on the tape in a herringbone pattern - I have to confess I didn't do any measuring and you can probably tell.. whoops. 


..but that's what makes it original, right? 

Anyway, then I spray-painted the entire thing with gold glitter spray paint and removed the tape before the paint dried completely.  


Lastly, I filled in random spots with paint. 


And there you have it! This is nothing even remotely close to my dad's amazing landscapes he paints, but it's one-of-a-kind and I hope Leslie doesn't mind it hanging on her wall. 

Sometimes taking a moment to do what you enjoy is a really great way to rid some stress.  


No comments:

Post a Comment