Thursday, December 10, 2015

Finger Foods for Baby

As a stay at home mom it is my responsibility to meal plan and cook for the family (among the million other things I feel like my day gets filled with). Trying to find new things for just my husband and I to eat is a challenge alone, but now I have to find new and healthy things that my one year old will eat. 

So what can we do when we're short on time or energy or money - or all of the above? 

It can be a little too easy to provide those babes with processed snacks like crackers, juice boxes, or those puffy things (I don't know what else to call them. If you're a parent with a little one you know what I'm talking about). 

These little tots need their protein and fat just like we do. Here are some ideas for healthy go-to foods for just that: 


Cut up string cheese
Perfect for an on-the-go option

Avocado
A little messy, but worth it

Beans
Open up a can of black beans, chick peas or whatever you have around. Can't get much easier than that! Good source of iron as well

Shredded Chicken or Tuna
Limit tuna to once or twice a week for young children

Ground beef
Combine it with diced, cooked veggies for a well-rounded meal

Peanut butter on a rice cake
Heck, I eat this for a snack myself! 

Full fat yogurt with peanut butter
I like to mix some sort of fat for an extra brain boost 

Scrambled eggs
Serve it warm or cold 

Sunflower seeds
Little, tiny seeds for some fat and protein. Watch for allergies! 

Cream cheese and deli meat roll-ups
Spread some cream cheese onto a slice of meat, roll it up, then cut into slices

Cottage cheese
Add fruit to it like peaches or some veggies like peas. We eat it plain around here

Bacon(Leslie LOVES bacon!) 
Although Leslie has choked on it a few times, so make sure you cup it up pretty tiny

Cut up meatballs
I'll admit, I buy premade meatballs for emergencies. But all it takes is a zap in the microwave for an easy dinner

Spoonfuls of coconut oil (Leslie thinks it's a treat!)
Nothing is much better than a shot of coconut oil! 


These babies of ours are in their prime for development! Make sure they're getting more than fruits and veggies for strong muscles and smart brains!


No comments:

Post a Comment