Monday, February 1, 2016

Healthy Goals, Healthy Body

Goals. They help us stay on track, help us stay focused and reaching for something. 




I like having a goal. But at the same time certain goals aren't worth making. 


Hear me out... 

I could have the goal to get to 150 lbs. 
Or I could have the goal of losing inches around my belly. 

I could have the goal of looking better in my swim suit. 
Or I could have the goal of getting stronger. 


Which goal is better? 

Let's go back to the goal to get to a certain weight. If we focus on getting to a certain weight on the scale we may be tempted to do extreme things to get there - like calorie restriction or excessive exercise, or both for heaven's sake! - things that aren't necessarily healthy. This type of thinking can make certain programs that promise fast results look pretty darn good. "I can get to my goal weight in 30 days? Sign me up!" 
But then what will you do when you get to that X lb amount? What happens after that? 
Start now by doing things your body recognizes as healthy instead of temporarily doing a 'diet' or exercise program for temporary results. 
It's not bad to aim for a certain weight or size of clothing, but if we can shift our goals to be less on aesthetics and more focused on health we'll find ways to truly get the healthy, strong, fit body we are all after. 

First, educate yourself on what your body needs to truly be healthy. What can your body handle doing for the rest of your life? 

Ask yourself these long-term questions. 
  • What type of foods can my body have in order to feel my best? 
  • What type of exercises do I enjoy and will be able to do for many years to come? 
  • Are these things increasing or decreasing my stress? 
  • Do these things help me sleep better?
  • Are my hormones balanced, will this help get them in balance?
  • [Women] Will this keep my cycle regular?  
  • Are my sugar cravings gone? 
Friends, this is what matters. If you made it to your goal of 150 lbs by busting your butt in the gym and eating next to nothing; but you feel hungry all of the time, your cycle has gone away, or you find yourself moody or depressed, then what is the point? 

Focus on treating your body as healthy as possible in order for it to respond appropriately, and you'll get the body you're after by default. 



I'd be happy to help you get there!


No comments:

Post a Comment